Thursday, October 30, 2014

Postcard Images

It has been awhile since my last post, but I wanted to post some new images and thoughts before my last show of the year.  I am always trying to find something new and unique for each show. Sometimes I am successful and sometimes I am not.  I don't want my images to appear as my wife puts it "post card images".  I want my images to carry their own personality.  Those of you that have spent time talking to me know I enjoy talking about each image because each one has its own story.  I want to share with you the story about the photograph I captured while my wife and I were on a two week trip to Maine. We stayed in Southwest Harbor which is the quiet side of Acadia National Park. Our previous trips to Acadia we stayed in Bar Harbor. We decided we wanted a more peaceful setting and Southwest Harbor fit the bill. The Bass Harbor Lighthouse is just several miles from Southwest Harbor. I arrived very early on this particular morning. Had to use a flashlight to get down on the rocks. The lighthouse itself is very easy to get to. To get the shot I have below one needs to climb down on the rocks and position yourself before others show up.


This is the classic image of the Bass Harbor Lighthouse. I was pleased with the shot but I was hoping mother nature would supply more than just a blue sky.  I decided to add one of my textures to the sky to give it more curb appeal.


The textured sky helped but the personality and mood I was looking for wasn't there. I left the image alone for a few days. There have been images I have stayed away from for weeks because I have looked so long at the image I become stagnant. Fresh eyes on an image opens up a new thought process which it did with the lighthouse. I believe the image below gives the image its own personality and mood. I just completed making the first print and I am very satisfied with the outcome.


I hope you will be able to attend Chriskindl Markt the weekend of November 7th-9th in Canton and see this print yourself. This will be my final show of the year. I will continue to post new images on my web site and make posts to the blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment